Apple Pistachio Crisp
Fruit based desserts can contribute to making half your plate fruits and veggies. True to their name, Honeycrisp apples are sweet and crunchy, perfectly delicious raw, but also ideal in baking. And their sweetness lends potential to reducing added sugar, as we did with this apple crisp.
3 apples (such as Honeycrisp, cored and cut into 1” chunks and unpeeled)
½ cup raisins
½ lemon (juiced)
½ cup old fashion oats
¼ cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 tablespoons brown sugar
¼ cup pistachios (unsalted, chopped)
2 tablespoons margarine or butter (melted)
- Place rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350* F.
- Place sliced apples, raisins, and lemon juice in 8” x 8” pan or baking dish; toss.
- In a bowl, mix remaining ingredients except melted margarine.
- Add melted margarine and mix until texture is consistent. Sprinkle over apple-raisin mixture.
- Bake uncovered 45-50 minutes or until apples are tender.