Yield: 4 cups
Serves: 4 adults
- ½ pound uncooked macaroni (2 cups)
- 1 ½ cups low-fat (1% or less) milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Dash of pepper
- 8 ounces shredded low-fat sharp cheddar cheese (2 cups)
Bold steps are great for children to help out!
- Follow package directions to cook macaroni.
- Using a fork, blend flour and low-fat milk in a small mixing bowl until flour can no longer be seen and there are no lumps.
- Heat milk and flour mixture in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it begins to bubble.
- Continue cooking and stirring until sauce thickens, about 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add pepper and shredded cheese.
- Stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat.
- Stir cheese sauce and cooked macaroni together until blended.
Reprinted with permission from the Child and Adult Care Food Program